Elite Police is the highly trained special force that assists district police in situations that need expertise with high-risk searches, raids and rescue operations. The officers in the Elite Police are trained to a high degree of skill in use of firearms, personal combat, and reconnaissance missions. They are trained at a modern facility, the Elite Training School on Baidian Road Lahore. The Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Elite Police heads the force.
Punjab Highway Patrol
The Government of Punjab announced the establishment of patrolling posts on the highways throughout the province on 8th January 2003, in order to provide security to the people traveling on the highways. Initially 450 patrolling posts were sanctioned in two phases. Later on 72 patrolling posts were also recommended. By July 31, 2013, 335 PHP posts had been operationalized while 9 PHP posts are under construction. 9145 constables, 1000 wireless operators and 1000 D/constables have been recruited. Headed by an officer of the rank of the Additional Inspector General of Police, Punjab Highway Patrol focuses to:
- Control crime on highways with a system of foot and mobile patrolling within an area extending to 220 feet on either side of the designated highways
- Apprehend criminals and hand them over to the local police
- Preserve the crime scene and inform the local police after commission of an offence
- In case of accident, provide first aid to the injured and transport the seriously injured to hospital
- Serve as reporting centres and provide emergency help in the form of guidance and road side assistance
- Keep the highway clear of encroachment in coordination with the competent authority
- Ensure round the clock presence of uniformed, well trained, well educated, alert and vigilant force
- Manage traffic on 12 highways across the province
- Distinctive Uniform
- In order to distinguish Punjab Highway Patrol from general police, a special uniform has been designed
In addition to regular police training, the personnel of Punjab Highway Patrol have been given training in the following areas:
- Character Building
- Principles of Patrolling
- Preservation of the crime scene
- Stop, search and arrest
- First aid
- Public dealing/community policing
- Safety and cleanliness
- Traffic management
- PHP officials are being imparted with special training through different refresher courses to enhance their capabilities
- In case of emergencies for help/assistance, Punjab Highway Patrol has established a helpline 1124 for road commuters
Anti-Car Lifting Team
Region Police has also been taken an appreciable initiative to establish Anti-Car Lifting Cells to overcome the theft of vehicles. Anti-Car lifting Cell is responsible to combat crimes related to vehicle threats and works under the supervision of SP CIA in Faisalabad District.
Counter Terrorism Department
In 1995, the Criminal Investigation Department was formally created and it operates under the CID Manual, 1937. Starting as a small operational unit, it has now developed into a department having its regional offices all over the Punjab. The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) was named as Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) on 21-07-2010.
To meet the growing challenges of terrorism, CTD has been restructured. Since early 2015, new roles have been assigned to it in addition to its primary intelligence function. CTD now registers and investigates all terrorism related cases at the newly established CTD Police Stations.
Creation of Counter Terrorism Force (CTF) within CTD is another landmark initiative. Highly educated corporals (1200 in number) have been inducted and given most modern training with the collaboration of the armed forces and friendly countries. These corporals have been deployed all over the Province to perform their mandated tasks. State of the art gadgetry and equipment have been provided to CTD and its infrastructure is being improved.
- Collection, collation & dissemination of information
- Sectarian activists, Militants, Terrorists & Deeni Madaris
- Afghan Trained Boys (ATBs), Returned Afghan Prisoners (RAPs)/Activists on 4th Schedule of Anti-Terrorism Act
- Sectarian & Terrorism suspects
- Future trends on Terrorism
Homicide Investigation Unit
The newly-established Homicide Investigation Units in Punjab will be made more effective and strong through provision of all kinds of logistic and financial support, revealed the weekly briefing at the Central Police Office on Monday.
Police Punjab chief Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera was briefed by DIG Investigation Chaudhry Shafique Ahmad Gujjar that funds for these advanced investigation units had been released to 22 districts while the remaining 14 districts would be provided with funds within the next three days.
About the Dolphin Force yet to be started in Lahore, DIG Ashraf told the IGP that 184 motorcycles had been handed over to the Lahore Police, while 116 were under inspection. He said that the training process of the force would be completed by the end of February next year. The meeting also decided to introduce the identical uniform of Dolphin and PERU force.
Upon this, IGP Sukhera directed the DIG to complete the process of fittings of all equipment in Dolphin motorcycles within the next three weeks. The DIG further told the meeting that the construction process for the offices of Dolphin Force would be started very soon.
About the issuance of ATM cards to widows of police employees, DIG Welfare Jan Muhammad told the IGP that a meeting with all banks concerned had been scheduled for the next week and after finalising the locations with the banks, the process of provision of ATM cards would be started.
To ensure the provision of quality and hygienic food not only to police officials but also to visitors, a decision regarding upgradation of the CPO’s canteen was reviewed in detail.
Traffic Police in Punjab has two main components under the current command & control structure. Traffic wardens with grayish blue uniform are performing traffic management in the five City districts i.e. Lahore, Rawalpindi, Faisalabad, Multan & Gujranwala and have been notified as Punjab Traffic Warden Service.
- Road Safety
- Always keep relevant documents e.g. driving license, CNIC, fitness
- Issuing Driving License
- Necessary documents required for regular driving license
- License Management
- This system automates the processes for driving license issuance
Police Qaumi Razakar
The Police Qaumi Razakars help the police in all the districts of Faisalabad Region, especially at the occasions of Muharram ul Harram, Eids, Elections etc.